It has been just over a month since the I-85 bridge collapse. In the May 2017 Regional Snapshot, we take a look at the impacts on commuting patterns and local businesses in the vicinity of the bridge collapse.
- March 30: Fire underneath I-85 caused the bridge to collapse and altered the commutes for hundreds of thousands of commuters.
- Around 240,000 trips go through the impacted area each weekday.
- Eastern half of the I-285 perimeter impacted the most, but travel was impacted all throughout the region, with a minimum of 30 percent increase in volumes across network.
- Commuters are far south as Newnan and as far north as Cumming regularly travel through that affected area.
- Many MARTA stations, especially those in the northern part of the region, have experienced large increases in ridership after the bridge collapse.
- According to a survey done by Invest Atlanta, some 75 percent of the businesses in the area have experienced a loss of customers due to the collapse.
- Bridge to reopen by May 26?
Click through the slides below for the full Regional Snapshot or view the PDF May 2017 Regional Snapshot: I-85 Bridge Collapse.